The area around The Pas was known by the aboriginal population as W’passkwayaw. Now it has become the Opaskwayak First Nation. Since the 1700s French fur traders passed through this area and the name Le Pas was used by them. Prior to 1912 this region was part of the North West Territories. When the north was joined to Manitoba in 1912, the Town of The Pas was incorporated with an elected mayor and councilors, the first municipality in the north, and the first northern The Pas School District was also formed. Due to a local francophone population, for decades the local post office used both names (Le Pas/The Pas) but this has eventually evolved into the English version only.
Copyright © 2019 North West Regional Immigrant Services
All Rights Reserved.